ATOMIC SHIFT: THE FIRST COMPROMISE-FREE BINDING
The Shift binding shepherds in the next generation of freeride capability. It’s the first ever binding that’s a genuine tech binding for touring – but then shift to ski mode and it turns into a genuine freeride binding for the way down, with a TÜV certified Alpine heel and toe that’s compatible with all ISO boots norms on the market.
While tech bindings lack reliable release ratings for a safer descent, and frame bindings weigh more than resort bindings, Atomic's Shift Touring Binding brings the best of both worlds. It's one of the first ski bindings that's Multi-Norm Certified for boots with both tech pins and DIN release ratings.
The Shift requires you skin in tech mode. Simply flick switches on both the toe and heel pieces to engage the toe's pins and activate the heel's walk mode. In walk mode, the Shift's pins provide the same walking stride and touring efficiency as any tech binding, with a heel riser to assist on the skin track's steeper sections. Without a frame, the Shift only weighs a mere three pounds, which isn't as light as ultralight tech bindings, but certainly lighter than alpine touring bindings and those hybrids with DIN heels and tech toes. After reaching the top of the skin track, you can flick those same switches on the toe and heel pieces to clip back into the binding like it was a regular alpine binding.
FEATURES & SPECS:
- Touring bindings with high performance in both hike and ride mode
- MNC accommodates tech, alpine touring, and standard alpine boots
- DIN holds a reliable release rating for higher downhill confidence
- Adjustable toe height allows switch between different boot norms
- Lightweight design has wide platform for lateral power transmission
- Low profile chassis enhance power transmission to the ski
- Self-retracting freeski brakes stay out of the way when not needed
- Release 6-13
- Weight 3 lb 13 oz